Built on the Former Homsite Of
Kate Veronica Jackson
Born January 13, 1857 - Died December 11, 1940
Kate Jackson deeded this property to Sacred Heart Catholic Church which later sold it to the city. The recreation center was named for her in recognition of her seminal efforts toward the development of Tampa's first public playgrounds under trained directors. She is entitled to credit for the acquisition of Tampa's first public playground and contributed a "considerable sum of money to its equipment," according to former Mayor D.B. McKay, in office in 1910. She was an organizer and first president of Tampa Civic Association, formed in 1911, which carried forward strenuous campaigns for playgrounds, city clean-up, a public library, better streets and beautification—"cultivating higher ideals of civic life and beauty" (her words).