Greenleaf Township???????? This monument marks the site of St. Columban Church and Cemetery. Beginning in 1858, mass and sacraments were celebrated in the homes of the early settlers by Benedictine Monks from St. Cloud friory, who came periodically on horseback. In 1869 the first church was built on this land given by Michael and Winifred McGraw and Lewis and Mary Maher. The church dedicated on January 4, 1870, was destroyed by fire November 23, 1880. A second frame church was built in 1889. The parish was incorporated January 17, 1896. From 1922 to 1937 the church was unused. It was reopened and served by the Church of Our Lady, Manannah from 1937 to 1960, by St. Anastasia, Hutchinson 1960-1965, and St. Gertrudes, Forest City until 1971 when the mission was closed. The church building was taken down in 1985.
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, October 5th, 2014 at 3:11pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||15T E 378766 N 4983536|
|Decimal Degrees||44.99491667, -94.53806667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 44° 59.695', W 94° 32.284'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||44° 59' 41.70" N, 94° 32' 17.04" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 65 County Rd 18, Litchfield MN 55355, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.