1900 - 1966In 1900, while Georgia was struggling to organize a system of schools, Taylorsville citizens founded the first free high school in Bartow County. Leaders included W. D. Trippe, Sr.; W. M Dorsey; W. P Harris, Sr.; W. m Trippe; E. O. Davis; L. W. Jolly; P. M. Rhodes and John Dorsey. In 1922, seven years before Bartow County established high schools, the first of over 660 diplomas was awarded. In 1926, a $10,000 bond built a 5 room brick building to replace the original 3 room frame structure that burned. In 1937, following consolidation with 4 small schools, citizens approved a $17,000 bond and obtained $13,010 federal grant to build a wing for senior HS programs. Later the county purchased additional land and expanded the facilities. Graduates have made significant contributions to society in the arts, business, education, government, engineering, farming, law, medicine, ministry, and research. The history of the school, including names of students, faculty and graduates, along with information about student activities and commencement exercises, is recorded in Taylorsville High School 1900 - 1966 by Lamar Harris, 2012, available in the EVHS archives.
|Placed By||Etowah Valley Historical Society|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, October 11th, 2014 at 3:00am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||16S E 685349 N 3774147|
|Decimal Degrees||34.09171667, -84.99091667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 34° 5.503', W 84° 59.455'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||34° 5' 30.18" N, 84° 59' 27.30" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||770, 678|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 113 Euharlee St, Taylorsville GA 30178, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.