Two miles west stood Fairfield, also called Carter's Creek plantation, one of the most distinguished of Virginia's early brick homes. Built about 1694 for Lewis Burwell(ca.1651-1710), the house was a grand T-shaped structure, with distinctive double and triple diagonally set chimney stacks joined at the caps, two separate vaulted cellars, and a large ballroom. The plantation also included a large formal garden, slave quarters, and other buildings necessary to operate a large plantation. The influential Burwell family lived here until about 1787, the house was destroyed by fire about 1897. The Fairfield site was listed in 1973 on the Virginia Landmarks Register and the National Register of Historic Places.