— 1794 —On this site a blockhouse was constructed in 1794 by order of Lieutenant-Governor John Graves Simcoe. He planned to establish here a small naval arsenal which would form a link in the defences of Upper Canada's western frontier and also draw the Indian trade from Detroit. The post was garrisoned by a detachment of the Queen's Rangers, and two gunboats were built; but by 1797 it was abandoned. In 1798 the province's Administrator, Peter Russell, had the blockhouse moved to Sandwich to serve as the Western District's court-house and gaol.
|Placed By||Ontario Archaeological and Historic Sites Board|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, October 26th, 2014 at 1:46pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17T E 402591 N 4695593|
|Decimal Degrees||42.40653333, -82.18373333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 42° 24.392', W 82° 11.024'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||42° 24' 23.52" N, 82° 11' 1.44" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||845, 914|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 59-99 Tecumseh Pkwy, Chatham-Kent ON N7M 4L5, CA|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.