The Presbytery of Central Texas sent the Rev. J. H. Zivley to San Angelo in 1885 to organize a church here. Seven communicants met with Zivley in the Methodist church building and founded the Southern Presbyterian Church of San Angelo. They included Mrs. A. J. Baker, Mrs. E. G.Burt, Mr. and Mrs. J. R. Burt, Mr. and Mrs. J. N. P. Cramer, and Mrs. Sally Hancock.First Presbyterian Church
By 1886 the membership had grown to 27, and this land at the corner of Irving and College Streets was purchased for $500. The first sanctuary was designed by architect Oscar Ruffini and finished in 1887. The Sunday School was instituted in the late 1890s with J. R. Burt as the first superintendent. Shortly after, the Ladies' Aid Society was formed with Mrs. A. J. Baker as its first president.
Construction of the present brick sanctuary began in 1906 and was completed in 1908. In that year a water-powered organ (since converted to electricity) was ordered from St. Louis by the Ladies' Aid Society. The sanctuary was dedicated in 1916.
An education building was built in 1950, and the Fellowship Hall was completed in 1956. During its first 100 years, the church was served by 11 ministers, two of whom served for a total of 63 years.
Texas Sesquicentennial 1836-1986.
has been listed in the
of Historic Places
by the United States
Department of the Interior