West Blocton began as a business and residential community adjoining the Cahaba Coal Mining Company's town of Blocton in 1883-84. West Blocton incorporated in 1901. Eugene D. Reynolds was the first mayor, 1901-1904, followed by Dr. L.E. Peacock, 1904-1906. A son of Italian Immigrants, Frank T. Ferrire, has been the longest serving mayor, 1965-1984. West Blocton was the commercial center of the southern Cahaba coal field serving the neighboring company towns and mining camps of Belle Ellen, Piper, Lucille, Gurnee, Coleanor, Garnsey, Galloway, Marvel, Moffatt, Masena, Braehead, Red Eagle and Hargrove. Economic opportunity attracted a diverse population. An Italian Catholic Cemetery lies just east of town and the League of Brothers Synagogue was built on Main Street in 1905. Bibb County's first bank, the Blocton Savings Bank was established in 1892. By 1910, West Blocton boasted of 55 businesses including a newspaper, bottling works, hotels, general stores, lawyers, doctors, photographers, shoemaker, tailor and dentist offices. West Blocton is now the home of the Cahaba Lily Festival.