Very Rev. Francis Jonatus Neale, S.J.
of Georgetown College
andColonel John Fitzgerald, Aide de Camp to General George Washington and one time Mayor of Alexandria
Prior to 1785, the Catholic community of Alexandria assisted at Holy Mass in a log building and later at the home of Colonel Fitzgerald.
The land for the original church at South Washington and Church Streets was donated of March 17, 1788 by Colonel Robert T. Hooe, a protestant gentlemen.
The second church, in Chapel Alley, was acquired from the Methodist congregation in 1810.
The sanctuary and the major portion of the present church were erected in 1826 by the Rev. Joseph W. Fairclough.
Presented the 22nd day of June 1958 by Porto Caravan, Order of Alhambra.