General Joseph H. Lewis, commander of the famous Orphan Brigade, is buried just down the hill from Fort Williams. The Orphan Brigade was composed of the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 6th and 9th Kentucky Infantry regiments along with two batteries of artillery. These men fought with the Confederate Army of Tennessee throughout the war. They left Kentucky in early 1862 and did not return until the war was over. Lewis was their last commander.
Joseph H. Lewis was born in Glasgow and was educated at Centre College in Danville. After practicing law for a number of year, Lewis entered politics. He served in the Kentucky legislature as a Whig from 1851-1855. His politics later took on a more pronounced Southern stance and he changed parties. He ran unsuccessfully as a Democrat for congress in 1857 and 1861.
After the war, Lewis returned to Kentucky and resumed his legal practice. In 1870 he was elected to congress and served two terms. In 1880 he was elected circuit judge. He served on the Kentucky court of appeals from 1882 to 1899, serving as chief justice in 1882, 1887 and 1897.
Monuments for two of Lewis' sons, Jack and Asa, who also served in the Orphan Brigade, are located near the Joseph Lewis monument. Gen. Braxton Bragg executed Asa Lewis for desertion after he went home to plant the spring crops against orders. Although Asa returned to duty of his own free will, Bragg carried out the execution. Asa has a headstone is in this cemetery but the location of his body is unknown. Jack's body is buried near that of his father.
Bottom right of marker
This is just one of the many sites along the John Hunt Morgan Trail. Brochures highlighting the entire trail are available at visitor information centers along the route.