The new Plaza San Lorenzo Ruiz was formerly known as Plaza Calderon de la Barca, a noted Spanish playwright. In 1981 it was renamed after the first Filipino saint, Lorenzo Ruiz, where his statue stands, in honor of this Binondo native who was executed on September 27, 1637 for refusing to renounce his Catholic faith. "A marker is installed on this site, this 28th day of April 2005."
The plaza also includes the monument of Joaquin Santa Marina who founded the La Insular Cigar and Cigarette factory in 1863. In 1979, the monument of the first Filipino printer, Tomas Pinpin, was also transferred to this plaza from Plaza Cervantes.
As part of the Mayor Jose L. Atienza, Jr. administration's Buhayin ang Maynila program, the new Plaza San Lorenzo Ruiz underwent major redevelopment with the assistance of the Metrobank Foundation thru its chairman, Dr. George S.K. Ty, and Congressman Miles Andrew M. Roces to provide a safe and beautiful place for rest and recreation for the growing Binondo community.
Jose L. Atienza, Jr.
City of Manila