This Church, the first Protestant Church in this area and the first Presbyterian Church in Michigan, was organized January 13, 1820. "Minuteman" George Alford, of the Revolutionary War, was one of the charter members.
The Rev. John Monteith, who later became the first president of the University of Michigan, conducted services here July 2, 1816 in the old log courthouse. In it the Presbyterians organized this church. Its Sunday School, the first in the Great Northwest Territory, was attended by persons of many faiths. They later helped organize the Monroe County Bible Society.
Rev. Monteith dedicated the present building February 15, 1848, Col. Oliver Johnson having donated the site.
It was here that Gen. George Armstrong Custer married Elizabeth Bacon.