Before the current building was erected, boots and shoes were sold in a wood frame building on this site. Later, it became a harness shop. This brick building, built by C.D. Bevington, was originally known as the Bevington Block. It initially housed the First National Bank, of which C.D. Bevington was president. Some of the later businesses on the main floor have been Gillespie's Tavern, Flatt's Clothing Store, a water softening business, and an optometrist's office.
From 1886 through the 1970's there was a barber shop in the basement accessed by an exterior stairwell on the south side of the building.
The second floor has been home to apartments, offices of dentists, attorneys, doctors, and insurance agents.
The building has never been sold, only changing ownership through wills.