First School in Hoover AreaA subscription school organized in the 1850's in Rocky Ridge Cumberland Presbyterian Church. Land deeded by church in 1881 to build a log school. In 1912, Professor E. D. Watkins taught all classes to the 30 students. In 1918, his 15 year old daughter, Mary, hired as a sub, taught for the next 48 years. More facilities were added in 1966. The current modern school opened with 35 rooms and a kindergarten in 1997.
|Placed By||Hoover Historical Society|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, September 13th, 2014 at 6:26am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||16S E 521794 N 3696741|
|Decimal Degrees||33.40978333, -86.76560000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 33° 24.587', W 86° 45.936'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||33° 24' 35.22" N, 86° 45' 56.16" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 2409 Acton Rd, Birmingham AL 35243, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.