Richard W. Goode, wife Jessie Goode and three small children arrived in the area of Crane Creek in 1877. They came here from Evanston, Illinois.
Goode explored the area, on foot and by boat, while his family remained in the small settlement of Eau Gallie. He finally selected this site on the banks of Crane Creek for his first log cabin. He purchased a homestead of 153 acres, stretching from this area, westward through what is now Country Club Colony. The purchase from the United States Government cost him $3.85.
The Goode family was living at this site in 1880 when straws were drawn thereby selecting the name of the little community as Melbourne. John Cornthwaite Hector, a settler from Australia, had suggested the name Melbourne.