On March 30, 1791, a group of six men, bundled in great coats, could be seen riding on horseback over a "wilderness" on the Potomac River. The leader was George Washington, first President of the United States, who was to approve the site selected for a new capital city authorized by the Constitution. This boundary milestone, southeast No. 6, still standing on its original location, was set here in 1792 under orders of President Washington by Major Andrew Ellicott, Surveyor.
Just 53 years later, in 1845, the Henry Gilpin Company was founded in Baltimore. Importing crude drugs by clipper ship, Gilpin was among the first to assay and standardize for product uniformity and dependable service to the apothecary practicing in the settlements of our early pioneers. This old gas lamp is an original taken from the cobblestone streets of the old Port City.