Built in 1824 by Joseph McMurtry and David L. Ward, on the site of an earlier bloomer forge. Its stone stack used charcoal fuel, and its air blast machinery was powered from a dam, 5 1/2 ft. high, in Little Sandy River. Capacity was about three tons of iron daily, mainly shipped via Ohio River. Last blast before 1835.
Marker presented by Armco Steel Corp.
Iron Made in Kentucky
A major producer since 1791, Ky. ranked 3rd in US in 1830s, 11th in 1965. Charcoal timber, native ore, limestone supplied material for numerous furnaces making pig iron, utensils, munitions in the Hanging Rock, Red River, Between Rivers, Rolling Fork, Green River Regions. Old charcoal furnace era ended by depletion of ore and timber and the growth of railroads.