A Civil War Hospital CenterLynchburg was known as "Tobacco Town" before the Civil War, with its 70 thriving tobacco businesses and numerous warehouses. It was also a railroad hub, the terminus of three railroads. Early in the Civil War, many of the warehouses were converted to hospitals and the railroad became the conduit for Confederate casualties pouring into the city. There a peak time after the Battle of the Wilderness (May 1864) when Lynchburg, with 6,000 inhabitants, was overwhelmed with over 10,000 wounded and diseased soldiers. During the four year Civil War, as the South's largest outpost hospital center, Lynchburg admitted in excess of 20,000 patients with nearly 3,000 deaths. Over 2,200 of those soldiers are buried in this Confederate Section of the Old City Cemetery.
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, October 18th, 2014 at 9:50pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17S E 663095 N 4142557|
|Decimal Degrees||37.41546667, -79.15698333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 37° 24.928', W 79° 9.419'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||37° 24' 55.68" N, 79° 9' 25.14" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||434, 540|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 301 Monroe St, Lynchburg VA 24504, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.