The cast-iron pitcher was made by Glamorgan foundry of Lynchburg and given to the city in October 1890 for use at the College Hill Reservoir. Shortly after installation, the local newspaper praised the pitcher as "a handsome and striking ornament" to the reservoir park. It was a working fountain there for 73 years, until 1963, when the reservoir was covered by a giant dome, and the fencing and the picher were dismantled and relocated. After forty years apart, the old reservoir water pitcher and fencing were reunited in the Cemetery in November 2002.
(upper left) College Hill Reservoir, c.1960
(upper right) 1891 Map of Lynchburg. The water pitcher and fence were originally located at the old College Hill Reservoir on Park Avenue, only 2 blocks from this site. The huge water tanks beside the old reservoir are visible to your left.
(lower right)Glamorgan foundry workers, 1891, one year after they cast the water pitcher. George Washington McQuary, pictured in the upper left corner, died one year after this photograph was taken and was buried nearby in the Cemetery.
(lower center) George Washington McQuary (1868-1892)