On the shores of beautiful Lake Michigan, Baileys Harbor was the first established village on the Door Peninsula. In 1848, Captain Justice Bailey was seeking refuge from a ferocious storm and came ashore in the sheltered harbor. Discovering abundant resources of limestone, pine, maple, and beech trees, Captain Bailey reported his find. Within the year, a small work force established a logging and mining industry beginning the long maritime history of Baileys Harbor.
Funding assistance for the marina was provided by: The Town of Baileys Harbor, Wisconsin Dept. of Natural Resources, Wisconsin Waterways Commission, Wisconsin Coastal Management Program, Federal Sport Fishing Restoration Fund, Wisconsin Stewardship Fund, and the Federal Clean Vessel Act