The village of Zealand grew up in 1875 to serve the logging industry. Henry owned 10,000 acres in the heart of the White Mtns., with a 10-mile railroad to move logs from forest to sawmill. The village had a post office, school, store, housing, and charcoal kilns to eke out every bit of forest value. Depending on the season, the logging business employed 80-250 men. By 1885, Henry left the Valley moving on to Lincoln, leaving the area mostly clear cut. From 1886-1903, fires destroyed the valley and village.