Wartime House of WorshipThis church, built by slaves in 1854, played a significant role in Madison County's Civil War experiences. In April 1861, days after the firing on Fort Sumter, South Carolina, 104 local men formed a company called The Danes, later part of the 6th Tennessee Infantry (CSA). The community gathered here at the church to watch the new soldiers muster before they left for Camp Beauregard in nearby Jackson. At the ceremony, Emma Cobb presented a silk flag with the company's name to Capt. John Ingram.
|Series||This marker is part of the Tennessee: Tennessee Civil War Trails series|
|Placed By||Tennessee Civil War Trails|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, October 11th, 2014 at 10:38pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||16S E 318605 N 3933957|
|Decimal Degrees||35.53266667, -89.00076667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 35° 31.96', W 89° 0.046'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||35° 31' 57.60" N, 89° 0' 2.76" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 2824-2828 Denmark Jackson Rd, Denmark TN 38391, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.