Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1974
Ornate Victorian house built for millionaire cattleman - banker Robert E. Stafford (1834-1890), one of organizers of Columbus Meat & Ice Co. Stafford built home and Opera House in same year, 1886. By design, he could sit in his bedroom and see Opera House stage performances, next door.
Home lost a cupola in 1909 hurricane. It was owned by the Staffords until 1915, then sold to Mrs. Helena Miller, whose decedents still preserve it.
After death of Mrs. Helena Miller on April 14, 1936, house was inherited by E.G. Mill, who is the present owner. (1973)