Just south of this site, brothers Abraham and Simon Hall built the area's first saw mill in 1852. From that time to the present, Algoma has been a significant source of wood products. Ahnapee Seating and Veneer Company was founded on this site in 1892. The company produced plywood, chair seats and backs, and settee-like benches used in railroad stations, stores, and churches. U.S. Plywood Corp., later a division of Champion Papers International, purchased the Algoma Plywood and Veneer Company in 1940. A group of employees and private investors bought the plant in 1977 and renamed it Algoma Hardwoods. The company remains a major employer specializing in doors and custom wood products.