Major General William S. Rosecrans
Field Headquarters Army of the Cumberland.
Major General William S. Rosecrans.
From morning September 16th to 11 a.m. September 19th, 1863.
14th Army Corps - Major General George H. Thomas.
20th Army Corps - Major General Alexander McDowell McCook.
21st Army Corps - Major General Thomas L. Crittenden.
Reserve Corps - Major General Gordon Granger.
Cavalry Corps - Brigader General Robert B. Mitchell.
General Rosecrans reached General Thomas' headquarters at Stevens' Gap from Chattanooga at night September 10th. Being convinced that General Bragg was concentrating north of LaFayette for battle he began the rapid concentration of his army via McLemore's Cove for the purpose of interposing between Bragg and Chattanooga. Army headquarters were established at this point on the morning of the 16th. The concentration was completed the evening of the 17th by the arrival of McCook's Corps on Thomas' right at Steven's Gap.
At daylight of the 19th Crittenden's Corps was in position at Lee and Gordon's Mill. Thomas' Corps moved to the left throughout the night of the 18th via Crawfish Springs reaching the LaFayette Road at Kelly's House at daylight of the 19th, except Negley's Division, which upon reaching Crawfish Springs was turned eastward towards Glass' Mill on the Chickamauga, where, on the morning of the 19th it encountered Helm's Brigade of Breckinridge's Division. McCook's Corps followed Thomas early on the 19th, Johnson's Division going into action on Thomas' line about noon, Davis becoming engaged near Viniard's House about 2 p.m., and Sheridan about 4 p.m. Army headquarters were moved from this point to Widow Glenn's towards noon of the 19th.