The first religious service in Nevada, officiated by a visiting Protestant Episcopal Reverend, was held in Virginia City's U.S. Courthouse on Sept. 11, 1861. A Parish was organized as St. Paul's Protestant Episcopal. In the following year the Rev. Franklin S. Rising became St. Paul's first Pastor and missionary, also holding services in Gold Hill and Silver City. A $30,000.00 church was built and the first service was held on Feb. 22, 1863. It was destroyed in the great fire of 1875 and rebuilt the following year on the original site.
The gothic style St. Paul's Episcopal Church's interior is adorned with hand-hewn pine beams and sugar pine planking from Lake Tahoe. The pipe organ, the oldest in Nevada, cost $3,000.00 and came around the "Horn". St. Paul's Parish, founded in 1861 is still active and holds Sunday services year round.