Birth of a Local Style
— Architecture of the Coast —
Ingenious use of local materials gave rise to a home-grown Seaway Trail architectural style.
Cobblestone construction was perfected by local masons between the opening of the Erie Canal and the Civil War. Local farmers had access to the stone, oxen to haul it, and labor to build with it. Borrowing from popular architectural styles, the ingenious masons built structures that soon became status symbols. The Core of Cobblestone Country
Cobblestone masonry originated around Rochester and spread with the pioneers moving along the Great Lakes Plain. The area around Childs is one of the most dense clusters of cobblestone buildings in existence.
Whipple House. Cyrus Witheral, Stone Mason. Flat lake stones set in herringbone pattern. Medina sandstone quoins and sills. V's joints.
Cobblestone Museum and Gift Shop. Field stone veneer with V'd joints. Brick lintels. Limestone quoins.
Cobblestone Schoolhouse. Sandstone quoins and lintels. 6" thick lake stone veneer over plank. The Cobblestone Society Museum
Buildings 1-7 (Distance not to scale in this artists rendering)
[map of section of NY 104 Ridge Road with buildings depicted with addresses and index numbers
Actual distance from Childs to the Whipple House is 3.5 miles. Actual distance from Childs to 15071 Ridge Road is 2.25 miles. Cobblestone Directory
Historic District Buildings
1 First Universalist Church, built in 1834 of field stone.
2 Ward House, built in 1840.
3 Schoolhouse, built in 1849, used until 1952.
4 Blacksmith Shop, built 1922 by Jos. H. Vagg.
5 Print Shop, built 1870s, relocated here from Medina.
6 Harness Shop, built 1838 by Starr Chester, relocated here from Gaines.
7 Farmers Hall, built in 1855, relocated here from Kendall.
8 Brick House, built in 1836.
Other Area Cobblestones
9 Whipple house, built in 1845 by Cyrus Witheral.
10 Saunders house, built in 1844.
11 Anderson house, built in 1830s, wing added 1859.
12 Hayden house, built about 1840.
13 More than one masonry pattern used.
14 Gaines District #4 Schoolhouse.
15 John Proctor's residence, brick, built in 1830s.
16 Cobblestone lower floor, brick upper floor.
17 Built in the 1870s by John Proctor.
18 Built in 1840s by John Proctor.
19 Brick front, old cobblestone at rear.
20 Built in 1836, sandstone arch over front door.
Many of these structures are private. Please respect property rights.
Seaway Trail, Inc. Corner Ray & West Main Street. Sackets Harbor, NY 13685. 1-800-SEAWAY-T.
This exhibit made possible by a grant from FHWA to Seaway Trail, Inc. Thanks to the Cobblestone Society Museum, C.W. Lattin, Director.