(Southside High School)Dinwiddie Normal Industrial School, the first African American high school built in the county during the segregation era, stood three miles southeast. When the building burned in 1953, plans were already in progress to construct a modern facility on this site as part of county efforts to build "separate but equal" schools. Bids came from across the region, and in Aug. 1952, the school board chose Farmville's Mottley Construction Co. to build the new school, which was renamed Southside High School. The school opened in spring 1954 with 520 students. Dr. Roy Watson served as principal. The school was closed in 2012.
|Marker Number||S 95|
|Placed By||Department of Historic Resources|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, November 22nd, 2014 at 5:02pm PST -08:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18S E 272247 N 4109380|
|Decimal Degrees||37.10306667, -77.56293333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 37° 6.184', W 77° 33.776'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||37° 6' 11.04" N, 77° 33' 46.56" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling South|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near U.S. 1, Dinwiddie VA 23841, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.