The German Seminary of the Evangelical Lutheran Synod of Ohio, the first Lutheran theological seminary west of the Appalachian Mountains, began instruction under Pastor Wilhelm Schmidt in Canton in 1830. The seminary relocated to Columbus at this location in 1831. After becoming part of Capital University in 1850, it occupied temporary campuses before locating permanently on the National Road, east of Columbus, in 1876. There the seminary was known as the Evangelical Lutheran Theological Seminary. In 1959, the seminary separated from Capital University. In 1978, it merged with the Hamma School of Theology of Wittenberg University, taking the name Trinity Lutheran Seminary. This united seminary was a significant harbinger of the formation of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America in 1988. The cornerstone of the first seminary building erected on this site in 1832 is located on the Trinity Lutheran Seminary campus in Bexley.
|Series||This marker is part of the Ohio: Ohio Historical Society series|
|Placed By||Ohio Bicentennial Commission, Trinity Lutheran Seminary, and The Ohio Historical Society|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Wednesday, December 31st, 2014 at 9:01pm PST -08:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17S E 329303 N 4423912|
|Decimal Degrees||39.94813333, -82.99815000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 39° 56.888', W 82° 59.889'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||39° 56' 53.28" N, 82° 59' 53.34" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||614, 513|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling South|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 681-699 US-23, Columbus OH 43215, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.