Also known as the Hog Ranch at Fetterman, the One Mile Hog Ranch was perhaps the rowdiest, roughest and most dangerous red light establishment in Wyoming. Built by Harrison Kane in 1880, the saloon sat just across the Platte River, about one mile north of Fort Fetterman, a government-controlled military reservation on the Bozeman Trail. With the addition of a dance hall and bawdy house, the place soon acquired a tough reputation. Not only did Kane's whiskey business flourish but he had poker games going night and day. Herds of cattle often changed hands according to the way cards fell.
The military post was soon abandoned and the Hog Ranch was acquired by new owners John Lawrance and John (Jack) Saunders. In 1884 the operation was moved across the river and the new "hog ranch" was opened in one of the abandoned military buildings. Billy Bacon bought out Lawrance's interest in late 188 and went into partnership with Saunders.
From the beginning, violence marred the Hog Ranch. Hot disputes and bigger arguments erupted frequently, with many decided by the barrel of a gun. Outlaws and freighters, visited the establishment where whiskey flowed freely, and cowboys from ranches within a one mile radius came to Fetterman to drink, gamble and revel in their spare time. The One Mile Hog Ranch became known for several years as the most notorious gambling, red light house west of Chicago with a reputation as a sanctuary beyond the law.
The infamous One Mile Hog Ranch at Fetterman was finally closed by the authorities on December 8, 1885 when the partners got into an argument and mortally wounded one another.