The Baxter Springs brewery was built on this site in 1870 by Edward Zellekin, a German immigrant who knew there would be a demand for his product in the booming cattle town. The massive building was constructed of brick and yellow sandstone.
After the cattle boom diminished, Zellekin abandoned the building, moved to Joplin, and made a fortune in mining. Years later, the building became headquarters for the Apostolic Faith religious movement. In the early 1960's, the building was condemned and razed.
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, January 10th, 2015 at 9:02pm PST -08:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||15S E 345869 N 4099367|
|Decimal Degrees||37.02786667, -94.73283333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 37° 1.672', W 94° 43.97'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||37° 1' 40.32" N, 94° 43' 58.2" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 700-798 East Ave, Baxter Springs KS 66713, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.