First known as New Boston when a post office was established here in 1832, by 1834 the community was known as Newburg. The Newburg Masonic Lodge #388 was organized in 1872. Since its completion in 1878, the Lodge hall has been a center for community events, serving as the meeting place for the Masons and other clubs, as well as church, school, and voting precinct. Mt. Pleasant Methodist Church, active since its founding in 1824 by Rev. James Smith, located ¼ mile east of this site.
Denton Hollow burial site of William Russell (ca. 1745-1825) one mile south. Major Russell, for whom nearby Russellville was named, served with Andrew Jackson during the Creek War and returned to this area to settle after the war.