Lock #3Buried beneath this canal stone lies Lock #3 of the Alexandria Canal, which connected the Harbor of Alexandria with the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal in Georgetown, D.C. between 1843 and 1886. After Crossing the Potomac on an aqueduct bridge near the present Key Bridge, the canal ran along the western side of the river for seven miles before descending to the level of the Potomac by means of four locks in Alexandria. Coal was the most important product barged to Alexandria for shipment to foreign and domestic ports. Lumber, fish and drygoods were transported on the return trip.
|Placed By||The City of Alexandria Archaeological Commission / Historic Alexandria Foundation|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, February 8th, 2015 at 9:01am PST -08:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18S E 322756 N 4298134|
|Decimal Degrees||38.81416667, -77.04146667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 38° 48.85', W 77° 2.488'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||38° 48' 51" N, 77° 2' 29.28" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||202, 703, 571|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling North|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 901 N Royal St, Alexandria VA 22314, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.