In 1774, the Maryland General Assembly passed legislation for the establishment of a school near "Ye Coole Springs" for the education of boys from St. Mary's, Charles, Calvert, and Prince George's counties. As a result of the Revolutionary War and funding shortages, the school did not actually open its doors until 1797. The school had an excellent academic reputation and in 1852 added military training to the curriculum. An impressive list of alumni included three Maryland governors. The school closed its doors in 1976 due to financial struggles.
The only original school building still standing is the White House (ca.1803). Other associated buildings include Dent Memorial Chapel (ca. 1883) and the Principal's House (ca. 1948), now the St. Mary's County Visitor's Center. The legacy of Charlotte Hall School lives on through the school's Alumni Association which awards scholarships annually to local high school students.
In 1885, the State of Maryland opened the Charlotte Hall Veterans Home with a mission of "serving those who served." The facility provides care for veterans on the beautiful 126 acre campus.
Reverend Hatch DentThe Dent Chapel was built in 1883 in honor of the Reverend Hatch Dent. A Revolutionary War soldier, Dent was one of the Maryland 400 whose sacrifices saved the American Army at the Battle of Long Island on August 27, 1776. He later became an Episcopal priest and was named the first principal of Charlotte Hall School.
(Inscription under the photo in the lower right) White House ca. 1803.