This building was dedicated on November 29, 1936 and educated students in grades 1 through 11 until the 12th grade was added in 1950, and it served as a school until 1991. This was one of the most modern school buildings in the state at the time. The cost was approximately $30,000 with the county assuming 55% and the federal government 45%. The building was designed by Ellamae Ellis League of Macon, who was the first licensed woman architect in Georgia. Stillwell Construction Company of Macon was the contractor. The members of the building committee were W. e. Knox, chairman and school superintendent; M.J. Wood, D.V. Childs, George B. Slocumb, all of the board of education, and J.A. Burnette of the county commissioners. The building sat vacant for a few years before housing the Jones County Chamber of Commerce in May of 1999. The building was dedicated as the W.E. Knox Civic Center November 17, 2007, in memory of the school superintendent who served as chairman of construction. Mr. Knox was a civic leader being involved in the Kiwanis Club, the Masons as well as a church leader in the Gray United Methodist Church. Mr. Knox was involved in several businesses and served as the Mayor of Gray.