Captain John H. Geiger, skilled pilot and master wrecker, built this house in 1830. It is typical of the era when, in 1832, the famed naturalist, John James Audubon, visited Key West to study and sketch the birds of the Florida Keys. On March 18, 1860, Mitchell Wolfson, native son of Key West, and Mrs. Wolfson, also a native Floridian, dedicated the house as a public museum to be named Audubon House, commemorating the artist's visit to Key West. Furnished with antiques of the period, the museum proudly exhibits numerous original Audubon engravings. This restoration sparked the preservation and restoration movement in Key West.