By 1798, pioneers had begun settling in this area. Around 1835, a small community was formed and named Gamaliel, after a teacher in the New Testament. In 1836, John Hayes and James Crawford donated 10 acres of land for community development. On this land a log school, which was also used as a church, was built in 1840. (OVER)
This property was incorporated on Dec. 19, 1840 and the 7 original trustees were William Crawford, Maston Comer, John Hayes, Robert Welch, James Crawford Jr., Charles Browning & John Meador. The first burial in the Gamaliel Cemetery was John D. Welch in August 1844. The post office was established in 1870 and the Gamaliel bank in 1903.