This is one of the earliest maps of the Village of Brockville and shows many of the early details upon which the later Town, and then City of Brockville have been superimposed.
The war of 1812-15 has just been over for a short time. The area around the first Court House shows the wartime accommodations for soldiers, with barracks, cook house, and hospital still in place.
The waterfront shows the original shoreline characterized by "Oak Point" on the left, a natural landmark known by Indians and French voyageurs. Here, where we stand, is the small bay and beach where landings were common. This is the origin of the first name of the settlement, "Buell's Bay."
William Buell (1751-1832), a disbanded Ensign in the Loyalist regiment, the "King's Rangers," arrived here in 1785, and took up his Crown Grant of land. He took advantage of the situation and developed his land into a town site for the settlers who arrive in subsequent years.
From this location northward runs the present Apple Street, which was opened through the middle of Buell's early apple orchard.
Plan of the Village of Brockville being part of the property of William Buell, Esq. Situated in front of a part of his lands, and laid out in lots according to this plan into Town Lots, of which the following have been disposed of prior to the delineation of this plan, and marked with the initials of the purchasers names. Those unmarked are the property of William Buell Esq., The whole accurately laid down by a scale of 100 feet to the 1/2 inch, taken from actual survey by Andrew N. Buell. — Brockville, September 25th 1816.