Built about 1831-32, and designed in the late phase of the Neo-Classic style, this structure is among the best of its type remaining in Ontario. Constructed as a dwelling for John McDonald, a local landowner, merchant, postmaster and later a member of the Legislative Council of Canada, it remained in the family until 1911. The earliest settlement at the site of Gananoque took place in the late 1790's, and the first major survey of a village site was carried out in 1842. First incorporated in 1862, Gananoque became a town on January 1, 1890. The town hall was deeded to the corporation by the McDonald heirs in October, 1911, and accepted in December of that year.