Shortly before his death, community
leader and benefactor Stephen Rowe
Bradley, Sr. (b. 1836; d. 1910)
expressed his intent to donate 212
acres of his land to the Palisades
Interstate Park Commission. His
heirs implemented his wishes and
stated that the land "shall be deeded
for a natural park, to be held for the
benefit and enjoyment of the public
at large." That land is now the
Blauvelt State Park. Some ninety
years later Mary Bradley Blake, his
granddaughter, made available 40
additional acres for "open space"
acquisition, in keeping with her
spirit of generosity and preservation.
That acreage is today the Stephen
Rowe Bradley, Sr. Park, so named
by Mary Bradley Blake in memory
of, and in gratitude to, her grandfather.