Mullins United Methodist Church, named for its first minister, the Reverend Lorenzo Dow Mullins, was established July 15, 1845, in a one-room log cabin structure on this site. Federal troops dismantled the building using its timbers to construct Fort Hurst, located northwest of the present-day intersection of Poplar Avenue and Erin Drive. In 1876, with logs reclaimed from the fort, the church was rebuilt as a one-room frame house. In 1897, a third church was built to replicate the deteriorating frame and log structure. The building was replaced in 1947 by another copy of the 1876 edifice, and it continues to serve as the Mullins Chapel. Adjacent to the chapel is the fifth sanctuary, which was dedicated April 14, 1957.