Trilingual (Wendish-German-English) community founded 1854 by 588 S\Wends under leadership of the Rev. John Kilian. The Rev. Kilian (evangelical Lutheran) named place Serbin because the Wends were descendants of Serbs.
A thriving town 1865-1890; had grocery, dry goods, jewelry, drug and music stores; shops of wagon maker, blacksmith, saddler; post office, 3 doctors, 2 dentists.
On Smithville-Houston oxcart road—sending out cotton, other produce, and hauling in staples.
Decline began about 1890 as railroads bypassed settlement by several miles.