As part of the 'New Deal' envisioned by President Roosevelt, a Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) camp was built in 1934 across the Rio Bravo from the fort. The Fort Stanton CCC employed civilians in soil conservation, forestry and women's programs as well as providing labor at Fort Stanton and the surrounding area. The camp closed in 1940.
In 1941, the camp was reoccupied, but this time by the 410 man crew of the German Luxury Liner S. S. Columbus. The ship had been scuttled by its crew to avoid capture by the British and the 'Distressed Seamen' were rescued by the US Navy. Upon their arrival, the sailors began improving the camp by constructing several new barracks, support facilities and the Olympic size pool. The crew was far removed from the horrors of World War II, but were never considered Prisoners of War, only interned alien enemies. By the summer of 1945, they had all been sent home. A few Japanese-American detainees occupied the camp for several months, but by October 1945, the camp had closed.