Appanoose Historical MarkerUnderneath Rathbun Lake, where the south branch of the Chariton River ran, lies the remains of most of the village of Griffinsville. At the turn of the century it was a thriving little inland hamlet with several houses, a general store, Barney Herr's Garage, a popular odd fellows hall with uncle A.B. Lowry's harness shop beneath, a telephone exchange, an old stone mill, and Will (Bill) Herr's blacksmith shop. Herr's shop was a popular gathering place where wagon wheels were made, plow shares and tools sharpened, horses shod, and even complete wagons built. Will's shop closed in 1959 after many years of faithful service. A post office was established in 1868 and it closed in 1901. Francis Griffin was the first postmaster and George Teater the last. The village is thought to have been named after the Frank Griffin pioneer family and was sometimes called "old plukum town". The 1915 Appanoose County Plat book shows several buildings present in Griffinsville in section 23 of Independence township.
|Placed By||Sponsored by former residents and neighbors of Griffinsville in memory of the Herr family|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Wednesday, July 15th, 2015 at 6:01pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||15T E 498686 N 4521088|
|Decimal Degrees||40.84083333, -93.01558333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 40° 50.45', W 93° 0.935'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||40° 50' 27" N, 93° 0' 56.1" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near Southfork Pl, Mystic IA 52574, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.