Erected in 1842 for worship and spiritual instruction of white and negro people. Built under supervision of the Rt. Rev. Leonidas Polk, Bishop of Louisiana, on land given by him and with labor and materials contributed by him and his brothers, R.K. Polk, G.W. Polk, L.J. Polk, and Dr. W.J. Polk. Delivered into care and custody of the Bishop of Tenn. As the property of the Diocese of Tenn.
Consecrated Sept. 4, 1842, by RT. Rev. James Hervey Otey, D.D, Bishop of Tenn., assisted by Bishop Polk.
Bishop Otey, whose remains rest in the church-yard, was born Jan. 27, 1800 at Liberty Va.; elected First Bishop of Tenn. June 1833; consecrated in Christ Church, Philadelphia, Jan. 14, 1834. Died April 23, 1863, in Memphis, Tenn.
At the Battle of Franklin in Nov. 1864, the following Confederate Generals were killed, and, among others were buried in St. John's church-yard by Chaplain Charles Todd Quintard, M.D., their bodies afterward being removed to their respective states:
Maj. Gen. Patrick Cleburne
Brig. Gen. H.B. Granberry
Brig. Gen. O.R. Stahl
Brig. Gen. S.R. Gist
Annal pilgrimages, held on the last Sunday in May with services led by Bishop of Tenn., were initiated in 1921.
Custody and upkeep of the property is in charge of St. John's Association, organized May 25, 1924. Rt. Rev. James M. Maxon, D.D. President; Wm. Dudley Gale, Treas.
This memorial erected in 1947 by
Diocese of Tennessee
St. John's Association
Tennessee Historical Commission