Mother Church in the civil parish of Terrebonne, St. Francis de Sales was founded in 1847. The intrepid zeal of the Reverend Canon Charles Menard, Apostle of Lafourche and Terrebonne, laid the foundation of this Parish. During the tenure of Fr. Z. Leveque, first pastor, this church was dedicated to Almighty God under the title of St. Francis de Sales, patron of the Catholic Press, priest of God Bishop of Geneva, true Pastor of souls, Defender of the Faith. Fr. August Vanderbilt (1914-1938) inspired the people of God to erect this present ediface in 1936. During this Bicentennial year the people of God of St. Francis de Sales rededicate themselves to the ideals of their founding fathers.