The First Baptist Church of Midland began serving the city shortly after Midland's founding in 1885. That year, Baptists from Pecos, Big Spring and Midland agreed to hire the Rev. S.B. Callaway to serve the three congregations. Under his leadership, a group organized this church in 1886, erecting a building shortly afterwards. Over the years, the church expanded and moved twice to accommodate growing membership. During the years following World War II, church growth mirrored Midland's impressive city development due to the region's expanding petroleum industry. Through all this time, the church has been a spiritual and community leader, a position it continues to hold today.