The completion of the railroad and the city's incorporation in the 1870's established a solid base upon which Gaithersburg could grow and flourish. Following the City's incorporation in 1878, Henry Ward became the president of the town's Commissioners. By 1891 the First National Bank of Gaithersburg opened, and not long after that, Gaithersburg became the first community in Montgomery County to have telephone service. Then, in 1898, George W. Meem, was elected to be the first mayor as the town changed to a mayor and council form of government. In 1913, electricity became available and the first "moving picture place" opened at the Masonic Hall on Russell Avenue. The first interstate bus line passed through Gaithersburg in 1916. Ten years later, Asbury Methodist Home was established, known then as the Methodist Home of the Aged and Orphans. Asbury provided a sense of community as subsequent generations followed in the footsteps of the founders by tending the needs of the community's most vunerable citizens. The city leaders led their community into the modern era.
(Photo caption): A view down Summit Avenue towards Frederick Avenue, circa 1900