Spring Arbor Historical CommitteeThis building, constructed in 1845 and pictured here in 1903, served as a residence hall of Michigan Central College. The connecting living quarters t the right were built in 1873 by Moses L. Hart, father of Rev. E.P. Hart. Moses Hart, the postmaster from 1873 to 1880, had his office in a corner of the grocery and farm implement store on the left. A hitching post was located on the left side of the building. Since antislavery was one of the platforms of Michigan Central College, this building played a part in the underground railroad. A separate cement basement room had a trap door from a first floor closet, and egress was available through tunnels to outbuildings. At various times before it was razed in 1971 to make way for Weatherwax Drug Store, various enterprises operated from within this building, including a grocery store, meat market, clothing store, restaurant, post office, and a home appliance and carpeting store.
|Placed By||Spring Arbor Historical Committee|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, August 1st, 2015 at 6:01pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||16T E 701917 N 4675418|
|Decimal Degrees||42.20486667, -84.55411667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 42° 12.292', W 84° 33.247'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||42° 12' 17.52" N, 84° 33' 14.82" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling East|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 102 Teft Rd, Spring Arbor MI 49283, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.