In 1881, as Big Spring was being established, Joseph Fisher (1845-1906), born in Austria, opened a general store in a tent. William (1855-1932), a brother, joined him in 1883. They had a trade territory as large as four New England states. Their free delivery pushcart doubled at times as the city hearse. The firm served as the first local bank, sometimes open until 2:00 a.m., to cash paychecks. The Fishers aided farmers and ranchers, often carrying debtors for years. Their generosity benefited fraternal orders, schools, and churches. The store was closed in 1941.