Circa 1797This French Colonial cottage was built by a freed black slave namedd "Yves" but called "Pascale". in 1797. Constructed of bousillage (adobe) between angular and upright posts, it represents the earliest form of what is now known in Louisiana as "Creole" architecture. Later, Aubin Roque and his last wife, Marie Philomene Metoyer, moved here from her fathers plantation, "Yucca", now named Melrose. She was the daughter of the legendary Augustine Metoyer, "Gens de Couleur Libres", of the lower Cane River Countyr. The house was moved to this site from its original location near Isle Breville on Cane River in 1967 by Museum Contents, Inc.
|Placed By||Natchitoches Parish Tourist Commission|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, August 9th, 2015 at 10:01am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||15R E 491912 N 3514158|
|Decimal Degrees||31.76290000, -93.08540000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 31° 45.774', W 93° 5.124'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||31° 45' 46.44" N, 93° 5' 7.44" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling North|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 752 Front St, Natchitoches LA 71457, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.